We have had 5 Dutch students here since February. One is doing research in our preschool and the other 4, as part of their thesis for their social work degree, have assessed the impact of Refilwe’s Ithuteng Aftercare program. They have interviewed many members of our community to understand perceptions, impact and needs. They formally presented these findings to Refilwe to provide us with a deeper understanding of how best to engage with the community going forward. With mutual understanding we are able to meet the needs of the community as well as identify the assets within the community that can be utilised. We are challenged and encouraged by the results of their work and time with us.
Some of their results are as follows:
- Ithuteng is seen as a safe place for our children.
- Additional help is needed particularly for Maths and English.
- The recycling program is viewed as a valuable program for our community.
- Additional support is required from Refilwe to Ithuteng.
- Ithuteng has had a positive effect on children’s grades in school.
For more information on Viaa Zwolle log onto: www.viaa.nl